[Wylug-discuss] Re: [Wylug-help] Dovecot authentication

Anne Wilson cannewilson at tiscali.co.uk
Fri Jan 13 12:03:32 GMT 2006

On Thursday 12 Jan 2006 22:11, ric wrote:
> On Thu, 2006-01-12 at 17:09 +0000, Anne Wilson wrote:
> > I'm having problems with authentication in dovecot.  Can anyone
> > advise? I can send config files off-list if required.
>
> whats the issue?

I'm trying to set up plain login authentication.  I did set it up
exactly as it said in the wiki page, using /etc/imap.passwd to
authenticate, and creating the file as the page said, but the telnet
login test always gives 'NO authentication'.

This morning I had a reply from the dovecot list, which said
<quote>
I've got something like

auth default {
   mechanisms = plain login
   passdb = passwd-file [
     args = /some/path/passwd
   }
   userdb = passwd-file {
     args = /some/path/passwd
   }
}
</quote.

I presume the args in the last stanza was meant to be '/etc/imap.passwd'
so I entered that in the config file and commented out the original
entries, but now dovecot doesn't start, due to 'Unknown Setting:
mechanisms'.

I'd be grateful for any help I can get.  Thanks

Anne