[Wylug-discuss] KDE 'newbie' question 1: keybindings

Dave Fisher wylug-discuss at davefisher.co.uk
Tue Jan 17 12:00:59 GMT 2006

Hi All,

I've just been giving KDE a whirl. My impressions so far are mixed.

Some things have really improved since the last time I looked at it
seriously, others just confirm my previous impressions (particularly re
simplicity and usability ... not).

I hope people don't mind me asking a lot of silly newbie style
questions, but I really don't want to misjudge KDE, just because I can't
see or find useful features where I'd expect to find them.

As several people have pointed out already, usability is always a matter
of context (specifically, the particular user and their different needs
in different circumstances).

In this instance, I'd (ideally) like to drive the desktop entirely from
the keyboard. Mousing hurts my wrist (singular) ... a lot.

My first bad impression of KDE was formed when I found that keybindings
are set in the 'Internationalisation' section of 'System Settings',
rather than the 'Keyboard' section.

I was then very disappointed by the number/range of commands that I was
offered bindings for.

Are the options in 'Internationalisation' the final word on the subject,
or is there a wider selection hidden away somewhere else?

For example, is there some generic (qt?) mechanism for attaching
keystrokes to gui menu items, as in gtk?

I was frankly amazed to find no obvious default keybinding for creating
a new tab/console/session in konsole.  I'd tend to consider that a bit
of a necessity.

Anyone know if such things really do exist, and how I might access them,
if they do?

Dave