[Wylug-discuss] Re: [Wylug-help] Dovecot authentication

Chris Davies chris.davies at bcs.org.uk
Tue Jan 17 13:44:39 GMT 2006

Anne Wilson wrote:
> I'm running sarge with dovecot 0.99.14.

OK. I'm using 0.99.10.4-1woody1, which sounds similar... but see below for the
crunch...

> I'm not looking for anything complicated.  I want plain login, using my
> own mail accounts.  It seems that part of the problem is that the
> documentation is for 1.0, and syntax is quite different.

> I had it to the point where I could telnet localhost 143, but not get an
> authorised login.  Then, from the dovecot mailing list I got this:
>
> auth default {
>    mechanisms = plain login
>    passdb = passwd-file [
>      args = /some/path/passwd
>    }
>    userdb = passwd-file {
>      args = /some/path/passwd
>    }
> }

Should that really be "[" on the passdb line?

> I amended that, as instructed, to replace
> mechanisms, passdb and userdb with auth_mechanisms, auth_passdb and
> auth_userdb respectively, and set the paths to /etc/imap.passwd (which
> I had created with username, pass, UID, GID as found on the wiki).

This is totally different to the syntax/structure in my configuration file,
which is all simple "key = value" stuff.

Grepping for significant entries in my dovecot.conf, I get the following 20 lines:

     protocols =  imap imaps pop3 pop3s
     ssl_cert_file = /etc/ssl/certs/dovecot_public.pem
     ssl_key_file = /etc/ssl/certs/dovecot.pem
     login = imap
     login_processes_count = 1
     login = pop3
     login_executable = /usr/lib/dovecot/pop3-login
     max_mail_processes = 256
     verbose_proctitle = yes
     first_valid_uid = 100
     client_workarounds = oe6-fetch-no-newmail outlook-idle
     mailbox_check_interval = 60
     maildir_copy_with_hardlinks = yes
     maildir_check_content_changes = yes
     mbox_locks = fcntl flock
     auth = default
     auth_mechanisms = plain
     auth_userdb = passwd
     auth_passdb = pam
     auth_user = root

I don't think this is going to be much help, sorry.
Chris
Chris
--
Chris Davies MBCS, chris.davies at bcs.org.uk, 07778 199069