[Wylug-discuss] Re: [Wylug-help] Dovecot authentication

Anne Wilson cannewilson at tiscali.co.uk
Tue Jan 17 18:29:12 GMT 2006

On Tuesday 17 Jan 2006 12:25, Chris Davies wrote:
> Anne Wilson wrote:
> > I'm running sarge with dovecot 0.99.14.
> > auth default {
> >    mechanisms = plain login
> >    passdb = passwd-file [
> >      args = /some/path/passwd
> >    }
> >    userdb = passwd-file {
> >      args = /some/path/passwd
> >    }
> > }
>
> Should that really be "[" on the passdb line?

No, it was a typo, but I realied that and corrected it :-)

> This is totally different to the syntax/structure in my configuration
> file, which is all simple "key = value" stuff.
>
> Grepping for significant entries in my dovecot.conf, I get the
> following 20 lines:
>
>      protocols =  imap imaps pop3 pop3s
>      ssl_cert_file = /etc/ssl/certs/dovecot_public.pem
>      ssl_key_file = /etc/ssl/certs/dovecot.pem
>      login = imap
>      login_processes_count = 1
>      login = pop3
>      login_executable = /usr/lib/dovecot/pop3-login
>      max_mail_processes = 256
>      verbose_proctitle = yes
>      first_valid_uid = 100
>      client_workarounds = oe6-fetch-no-newmail outlook-idle
>      mailbox_check_interval = 60
>      maildir_copy_with_hardlinks = yes
>      maildir_check_content_changes = yes
>      mbox_locks = fcntl flock
>      auth = default
>      auth_mechanisms = plain
>      auth_userdb = passwd
>      auth_passdb = pam
>      auth_user = root
>
> I don't think this is going to be much help, sorry.

As you say, your setup is too different, but thanks for looking.

I re-posted my query on the dovecot list and got a lot of feedback.  In
the end, they confirmed that my config file was correct and so was my
imap.passwd file, so it was not clear where the problem was.  I
installed 1.0 (0.99.14 is 2 years old and no longer maintained), but
with the same results.  I then began to wonder whether it was dependent
on something from the 2.6 kernels - Debian had installed 2.4 by
default.  That's when I screwed things up, messing the mbr to a point
where I couldn't recover it.

I've installed FC4 now, as I wanted to take a look at that anyway.  I
have a 2.6 kernel, and I'm about to re-install dovecot.   I'll let you
know how it goes.

Anne