[Wylug-discuss] Sound Recordings

James Holden wylug at jamesholden.net
Mon Jan 30 17:29:27 GMT 2006

On Mon, Jan 30, 2006 at 04:22:40PM +0000, Dave Fisher wrote:
> On Mon, Jan 30, 2006 at 01:02:07PM +0000, James Holden wrote:
> >  - What's a .cdr file? What can you use to burn them to disc?
>
> Perhaps it's a Mac authored CD/DVD disk image, i.e. litle different from .cue
> .bin .iso?

An .iso is a little different from a .cue and .bin file.

An .iso image is just an ISO9660 filesystem, which would normally be
burnt as a single type 1 track.

A .cue and .bin combination is one or more track data files (the .bin
files) with a disc layout (the .cue file) to show how the disc should be
put together.

If it contains an audio CD image, the .cdr file must contain a .cue file
and one or more .bin files. For an audio CD, the tracks are 'type 2',
which means that they have a block size of 2352 rather than 2048 and are
indicated in the TOC to be audio tracks.

A bit of googling indicates that a .cdr file is commonly understood to
be a byte-swapped .wav file with the RIFF header removed. Therefore, to
create your audio CD from the .cdr files you'd still to create a .cue
file.

This means that the .cdr files on the site are nothing more than 'naked'
44100Hz 16 bit stereo raw audio files. I think my point about
distributing them as .ogg or .mp3 still stands (but it's very nice of
them to provide them at all, of course).

James