No subject

Wed May 17 09:49:02 BST 2006

it, I would say that it will become a real threat to Oracle in
the departmental server space. Oracle have responded by
providing lower cost licensing for such installations but I feel
that they will have do rather more to compete with MySQL in the
next couple of years.

> Iain's objection to MySQL is that he has had to re-write chunks
> of ProFit because MySQL does not have "views". He's got it
> working using ODBC, which is probably far from ideal, but we
> really cannot wait for Uniface 8.4 and the MySQL drivers.

I believe that the next version (5.1) of MySQL will contain
views. Triggers are a welcome addition in that release also,
joining stored procedures that were introduced in 5.0 (currently
at alpha release stage). These features are critical to many
applications that use a RDBMS and will go a long way in helping
MySQL compete with the big three.

We are in the process of migrating from Uniface 7.02.06 to
8.4.xx. I haven't had much of a play with it yet but it does
look promising. The quality of the product and Compuware's
support service has improved massively since version 6 and 7.1
and Compuware actively encourage feedback from the user
community.

Our basic system testing (of 8.3.xx) has shown that it is
stable, although maybe not as good as 7.02.06 yet. I will be
involved in the migration of our product to 8.4.xx later this
year and I will take the opportunity to use it with MySQL to
provide me with an objective comparison to Oracle 8i and 9i.

Re. ODBC: whilst far from ideal, a stable ODBC driver should be
adequate for most uses, large throughput batch type jobs
accepted.

---
nigel.