[Wylug-discuss] ADSL migration

Rik Wade rik at rikwade.com
Fri May 12 00:06:14 BST 2006

On Fri, May 12, 2006 10:56, Smylers wrote:

> Why do you require the above things from your ISP?

I agree. I would probably advise going to someone like Bytemark
(http://www.bytemark.co.uk) and getting a low-spec virtual Linux server on
which to run your mail server (SMTP, IMAP/POP3) and Web server. Bytemark
will provide primary and secondary DNS for your domains. Just point the
domains to your virtual server's services.

You're then free to choose whatever Internet access provider (i.e. your
DSL provider) you like. Decoupling the two provides far more freedom in
the long term. There is just the overhead of managing the cost and
administration of a basic Linux server.
--
rik