[Wylug-discuss] ADSL migration

Anne Wilson cannewilson at tiscali.co.uk
Fri May 12 11:12:37 BST 2006

On Friday 12 May 2006 00:12, Rik Wade wrote:
> On Fri, May 12, 2006 10:56, Smylers wrote:
> > Why do you require the above things from your ISP?
>
> I agree. I would probably advise going to someone like Bytemark
> (http://www.bytemark.co.uk) and getting a low-spec virtual Linux server on
> which to run your mail server (SMTP, IMAP/POP3) and Web server. Bytemark
> will provide primary and secondary DNS for your domains. Just point the
> domains to your virtual server's services.
>
> You're then free to choose whatever Internet access provider (i.e. your
> DSL provider) you like. Decoupling the two provides far more freedom in
> the long term. There is just the overhead of managing the cost and
> administration of a basic Linux server.

Replying to Rik and Smylers, together.

There's certainly a lot to think about there.  I don't know anything about
bytemark at all, so I'll read up on that today.

Why have I wanted the services from the ISP in the past?  Simplicity, and
freedom from hassle.  I do not have complete control of the family's usage,
and need to avoid conflict where possible.  Since I am retired I am seen as
having the time to do the necessary research and admin, yet I can't simply
make a decision, so I have to justify everything I recommend in terms that
are acceptable to my son-in-law.  Splitting services, as has been mentioned,
may well be better in the long run, but I will have to be absolutely sure
that I can explain what I am doing and justify it as well.

Tech support issues?  I agree that for the most part, once you have obtained
the necessary addresses to set up the services there is rarely a need to
contact them.  Mostly it is when you want to discuss the practicability of
doing something different, or adding something.  Occasionally it is when
there has been a significant downtime which appears to be not caused at this
end, and you need confirmation that it is an ISP problem.  If tech support is
office hours only that is obviously a problem.  If they tell me to reboot
Windows, or, as happened to me recently, to change a setting in Outlook
Express (I can't remember why that came up), then I have no confidence in
them.

Like most non-professionals, I only half-understand some of the issues here,
specifically how hosting actually works.  I'd love to have my own complete
mail server, as distinct from the imap server I run internally, but suspect
that it would take more time and resources than I have to do it right now.
The same applies to web serving.  I would appreciate it if anyone can point
me at any reading that can give me sufficient detail in a digestible form to
help me make sensible decisions.

Anne