[Wylug-discuss] ADSL migration

Neil Pilgrim linux at kepier.clara.net
Fri May 12 00:19:40 BST 2006

Anne Wilson wrote:
> On Thursday 11 May 2006 16:54, James Holden wrote:

[...]
>>This would suggest that you're a high-usage customer. Broadband ISPs
>>typically operate on pretty tight margins, so I'm not surprised that you
>>didn't get much of a positive response. Do you know what your actual
>>monthly usage is? Do Mailbox provide tools for you to monitor it, or can
>>you get the info from your firewall?
>
> There must be some way of gathering this info.  I'll see what I can do over
> the weekend.  It's my belief that we are not, on average, high users, but
> there may be two or three weeks of the year when we use considerably more
> than our average.  I suppose there are ways of cutting it down, too, such as
> not downloading all updates for individual machines, but storing them on a
> server box.  There are months when that job alone would account for well over
> a GB.

As an extra data point, I was previously with BT, but then decided on
freedom2surf (f2s) when I moved house. They have a fairly detailed stats
system so you can monitor how many GB you're uploading/downloading. My
account is capped at 10G, but while I started out doing quite a bit, my
usage is now always under that, normally under 5G. That said, while it
is capped, that doesn't include transfers between 1am and 6am, if you
want to schedule things for then (I haven't needed to bother).

I'm looking forward to July/August, when my year contract ends - then I
can move to an £4-9 cheaper package (my connection charge was
effectively spread over the year, so its not so bad).

Interested to hear what people think about f2s - I've barely had to use
them for support. Like Smylers mentioned, my email/web accounts are
spread wide and generally separate from my 'net connection, and I prefer
it that way :)

Hope things are going well for everyone in Leeds,

--
Neil, in Sunny Aberdeen.