[Wylug-discuss] ADSL migration

david powell dave at whipy.demon.co.uk
Fri May 12 01:04:29 BST 2006

well at least its not buldogadsl you opted to use

i left bt years ago  when on dial up  and never heard good reports of them on
adsl eather

but cost  well yes  i went with bulldogadsl for that reason
but cost is relative to actual services
at the time  it was £17.95 a month so thought it a good deal
but  a dinamic ip , no email , office hours only tec support
may at first not seem to be too restrictive

but
 dinamic ip , so when the server crashes and restarts you get a new ip
well if your downloading someting then you need to restart it
not good if its a 4.3Gb DVD iso for debian  or something like that

 no email addresses suplied but £5.99 each extra a month if you need one
not all of us have a domain also

office hours only tec support , so the office closes at 8pm , there sever
crashes at 8:10pm , and you cannot report it till 8am the next day
so your whole evenings surfing is out

added with the fact that there service was so unreliable that over 1 week
i had a network fail every 24 hrs ( normaly less than 10 mins each but ended
up with another ip each time ) and 1 or more outages that lasted over 30 mins
a week

supprt  matters when you have bad service , and getting the  restart your
computer (not the router ) as there first message , after waiting on the
phone to get though to them that you know its there end your router is saying
the dns server is down
you would think a isp would know what that meaasge would tell them

anyway i left them 8 months into the 12month contract , dew to the fact that
i gave them enough greef about the aceptablilaty of there service , thay did
not dispute the rest of it

but i moved back to demon  and although its £24.99 a month for the package i
get from them
unlimited email addresses (with its own domain)
20mb web space (personal web page and space to put files you want to be
avalable  for others )
unlimited bandwith useage  can use the 2mb/s flat out all month no problems if
i wanted
the big advantage is  down time   like 2 10 min outages in last 3 months !!

theres nothing worse than having to ring them because its not working and
you know its not your end
but when you do  talking to someone that knows what there on about is
very important to getting it solved

for the £24.99 service i get from demon well with only 1 email address from
bulldog , fixed ip option at £5.99 and webspace £5.99 also that would cost
more than £30 from buldog so i get a adsl that works for less

sorry for the rant , but may be worth comparing the features like bandwith
fixed ip , and other features and is saving £ 2 to 5 a month  realy worth it
if the service is bad , and you spend more time phoning them up about it
rather than using it

demon tec support is a local call rate  buldog was freephone
but would rather spend  10 mins on the phone to demon in 3 months than
8 hrs  on the phone to buldog over a 3 month period

so far    i would avoid  , bt, tiscali & bulldogadsl  not shure but i bet
others could add to the list of isp's to avoid like aol

maybe you should ask what the others recomend for a isp
demon also offer a cheaper alternative but i wanted the extra features

Dave