[Wylug-discuss] ADSL migration

Anne Wilson cannewilson at tiscali.co.uk
Fri May 12 10:44:46 BST 2006

On Friday 12 May 2006 00:19, Neil Pilgrim wrote:
> As an extra data point, I was previously with BT, but then decided on
> freedom2surf (f2s) when I moved house. They have a fairly detailed stats
> system so you can monitor how many GB you're uploading/downloading. My
> account is capped at 10G, but while I started out doing quite a bit, my
> usage is now always under that, normally under 5G. That said, while it
> is capped, that doesn't include transfers between 1am and 6am, if you
> want to schedule things for then (I haven't needed to bother).

I tried to get the family to think seriously about what they do download, and
how big the files really are.  Frankly, I think the initial panic was
unjustified.  I think it would be rare indeed for any reasonable cap to be
exceeded.

I believe that capped services generally do supply some monitoring tools, but
maybe I'd also have to look at a lan-based monitor if we found ourselves
fighting a cap.  If that were the case we should be doing that anyway, I
think.

Anne