[Wylug-discuss] ADSL migration

Smylers Smylers at stripey.com
Fri May 12 11:43:44 BST 2006

James Holden writes:

> On Fri, May 12, 2006 at 11:12:24AM +1200, Rik Wade wrote:
>
> > On Fri, May 12, 2006 10:56, Smylers wrote:
>
> > > Why do you require the above things from your ISP?
>
> Because it's too much bother to do it herself?

But trying to find one ISP that currently does everything also is
seeming to be hassle for her!

> > You're then free to choose whatever Internet access provider (i.e.
> > your DSL provider) you like. Decoupling the two provides far more
> > freedom in the long term. There is just the overhead of managing the
> > cost and administration of a basic Linux server.
>
> Yes, but so long as the ISP allows you to host your own domain on
> their servers, you're OK.

Sure, but that "so long as" is restricting your choice of ISP.  If you
find a decent ISP that doesn't do that then simply putting your domain
somewhere else is easy enough.

> If you own the domain name,

Note that one of the "above things" you snipped from Anne's list was
domain registration itself.  That's going to be about the same amount of
hassle wherever you do it; saying that either your ISP does it for you
or you have to bother to do it yourself is silly.

> I don't think Anne needs the overhead of running her own server just
> so the family can get their mail and put a few holiday snaps on the
> web.

Sure.  Which is why I specifically mentioned that there are various
sorts of hosting packages available; shared hosting is quite possibly
adequate for Anne's needs.  Another suggestion is a virtual server.

There is plenty of middle ground between using hosting that comes with
your ISP and getting your own server, and arguing against the latter as
a reason to go for the former is a straw man attack!

Smylers