[Wylug-discuss] ADSL migration

James Holden wylug at jamesholden.net
Fri May 12 11:59:58 BST 2006

On Fri, May 12, 2006 at 11:43:38AM +0100, Smylers wrote:
> James Holden writes:

> > Because it's too much bother to do it herself?
>
> But trying to find one ISP that currently does everything also is
> seeming to be hassle for her!

Not necessarily, it's just narrowing her choices down, which is what
she's trying to do!

Anyway, where her email ends up is a choice that can be made after
switching providers. I think the more important considerations for her
are to do with the actual connectivity and pricing model.

[snip]

> Sure.  Which is why I specifically mentioned that there are various
> sorts of hosting packages available; shared hosting is quite possibly
> adequate for Anne's needs.  Another suggestion is a virtual server.
>
> There is plenty of middle ground between using hosting that comes with
> your ISP and getting your own server, and arguing against the latter as
> a reason to go for the former is a straw man attack!

I wasn't arguing against taking the hosting and email elsewhere, just
pointing out that some ISPs do manage to do a pretty good job of it,
which is something that nobody else seems to think.

I'm all in favour of keeping things simple, and spreading your services
around the place when you don't actually need to just complicates
matters.

James