[Wylug-discuss] ADSL migration

Smylers Smylers at stripey.com
Fri May 12 12:58:37 BST 2006

Anne Wilson writes:

> On Friday 12 May 2006 11:53, Smylers wrote:
>
> > Anne Wilson writes:
> >
> > > Like most non-professionals, I only half-understand some of the
> > > issues here, specifically how hosting actually works.
> >
> > There are lots of options; one type of shared hosting works as follows.
> > You need to attach your domain to the account, either by transferring
> > its registration to your hosting provider or by setting the name-servers
> > (with your existing registrar) to be those specified by your hosting
> > provider.
>
> Not sure that I've got that.  AIUI, Mailbox, like many others, use
> Tucows to register the domain.  To do either of those methods, would I
> be needing the cooperation of Mailbox, Tucows, or both?  Or something
> else completely?

Tucows generally operate through resellers.  Your contract is with
Mailbox, so they should be the only people you need to deal with (unless
part of their instructions is to do something directly with Tucows), and
they will make the necessary changes.

To move registrars see my mail from yesterday (it's different depending
on whether the domain ends in .uk, .com, or whatever).

But most registars let you specify the name servers, usually somewhere
in a web-based control panel.  So it's probable that you can leave your
domain registered where it is and merely update its name servers to be
that of your new host.  In that case you'd still pay Mailbox for the
registration every year or whatever.

Simon