[Wylug-discuss] Fwd: Early Day Motion in the House of Commons

John Hodrien johnh at comp.leeds.ac.uk
Thu Nov 23 11:05:31 GMT 2006

On Thu, 23 Nov 2006, Shaun Laughey wrote:

> Consider me convinced. I'll start bothering the politicos tomorrow. It's not
> just cost savings either. Less mouse use is a good thing in my view with RSI
> becoming more common in children. More terminals can only be a good thing.
>
> As for children and Linux - my 3 and 5 year old children "love" tuxpaint and
> don't insist on me putting OSX back on their mac all the time. Just some of
> the time.

Letting technicians do useful work is one thing:

If licenses are expensive then you don't buy many, but then you don't always
want them on the same machines.  This ends up meaning getting software
installed and uninstalled repeatedly...

Letting kids have all their school software at home:

You're not seriously teaching with something like Office Professional /
Fireworks / Dreamweaver and then expecting them to fork out for it at home to
get competent are you?

jh

--
"The thing that impresses me most about America is the way parents obey their
  children."                                          -- Edward VIII