[Wylug-discuss] Seeking Advice: Quality Mobile Sound Recording

Dave Fisher wylug-discuss at davefisher.co.uk
Tue Nov 28 11:20:43 GMT 2006

Hi All,

Does anyone have any experience of professional (or semi-professional)
mobile sound recording?

I need a portable method of capturing high quality sound (speech and
music).

I'd prefer to record using a lossless codec like FLAC, but WAV would be
OK, and even a good lossy format like Ogg Vorbis would probably be
sufficient for learning.

A couple of people have recommended M-Audio's MicroTrack 24/96:

  http://www.maudio.co.uk/products/en_gb/MicroTrack2496-main.html

Others have recommended these:

  Edirol R-09 http://www.solidstatesound.co.uk/edirolr-09.htm

  Marantz PMD660 http://www.solidstatesound.co.uk/marantz_pmd660.htm

  Fostex FR2 http://www.solidstatesound.co.uk/fostex_fr2.htm

The prices don't intimidate me, except in the sense that I have
insufficient experience to judge what consistutes value for money ...
hence this appeal for advice.

Dave