[Wylug-discuss] Seeking Advice: Quality Mobile Sound Recording

John Hodrien johnh at comp.leeds.ac.uk
Tue Nov 28 13:08:05 GMT 2006

On Tue, 28 Nov 2006, Dave Fisher wrote:

> Does anyone have any experience of professional (or semi-professional)
> mobile sound recording?

Nope.  I have some experience using professional audio at work, but not a
great deal so feel free to take this with a pinch of salt.

> A couple of people have recommended M-Audio's MicroTrack 24/96:
>
>  http://www.maudio.co.uk/products/en_gb/MicroTrack2496-main.html

Looks good and compact, and has balanced inputs.  I'd be tempted by that.

> Others have recommended these:
>
>  Edirol R-09 http://www.solidstatesound.co.uk/edirolr-09.htm

Doesn't appear to have balanced inputs which I'd see as a negative.

>  Marantz PMD660 http://www.solidstatesound.co.uk/marantz_pmd660.htm

16KHz frequency response is a touch low?

"It is fine for many field applications like electronic journalism (no MP2 or
  BWAV, though), technical investigation, and documenting legal proceedings."

I suspect it's not really a front runner for music.

>  Fostex FR2 http://www.solidstatesound.co.uk/fostex_fr2.htm

Just a much higher quality unit, but then that's hardly surprising given the
specs.  But depending on how portable you'd like the be (as in whether mains
power is available) the power draw might be a killer on this one.

jh

--
"Rest in peace.  The mistake shall not be repeated."
                                   -- Inscription on the cenotaph at Hiroshima