[Wylug-discuss] Seeking Programmer

Mark Spink dmspink at aria.uklinux.net
Thu Apr 12 10:47:06 BST 2007

Frontline Solutions Ltd at the Batley Technology Centre is currently
looking for a new full-time member of staff. The principle role of the
job is mostly programming, but being a small company (although growing
quickly) the applicant will need to show some flexibility. Currently the
company consists of myself and my colleague Andy.

Although I'd love to say the job will involve Linux, unfortunately I
have to live in the real world and the reality is that all our clients
mostly use windows xp clients and 2003 servers. However we try to make
use of as much open source materials as possible in our product Dealtrak
(http://www.dealtrak.co.uk/)  and we run linux based co-location servers
providing web services for our clients.

Frontline Solutions (http://www.frontline-solutions.co.uk) provides
backend services for car finance brokers. We have 18 clients, including
two of the UK's largest brokers. Our servers and software handled over a
million finance proposals last year and this year looks busier still.

It would be useful if the applicant had some knowledge of visual basic
(not the .net variety), PHP and the principles of XML and SOAP. However
if you have programming experience in any other main language, such as
python, perl, c/c++, java, c# etc, then you can pick up vb easily and we
have plans to be moving away from this language, as soon as it is
practical.

If you have a driving license this would be useful as we often visit our
clients, but if you want to just work out of the office, then thats fine
also.

If you like golf we play a round each week, sometimes with clients,
sometimes just for the fun of it. It's not all work.

We also handle some help-desk calls. It's fairly simple stuff. This week
Andy my colleague had a call from one lady who was worried that the
message in the screen said 'No RGB signal!'. So if you can cope with
that you will be ok.

Being a long time Linux user and member of the WYLUG (though I must
admit a bit less a member than I would like to be at the moment), in my
eyes anyone who knows an alternative OS than just WinDoz is alright in
my book!

Pay will be in the range 20-30k per year based on experience etc..

The job is ideal for anyone who's interested in a job were you are a big
cog in a small machine, as opposed to a small cog in a large machine.

Please email a simple cv to mark.spink at frontline-solutions.co.uk if you
are interested.

Mark Spink