[Wylug-discuss] Windows Refund. HP vs DELL.

Shaun Laughey shaun at laughey.com
Fri Apr 20 11:10:54 BST 2007

On Fri, 2007-04-20 at 08:15 +0100, Smylers wrote:
> On March 1st John Hodrien writes:
>
> > On Thu, 1 Mar 2007, Smylers wrote:
> >
> > > Sounds like recent campaigning to Dell may be having an effect:
> > >
> > >  http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/02/28/dell_linux_computers/
> > >
> > > Though Dell says:
> > >
> > >  ... we have seen a consistent request to provide platforms that
> > >  allow people to install their operating system of choice
> >
> > Don't expect it to be too soon though.
>
> Hmmm, according to Dell's own website, Michael Dell himself runs Linux
> (the Ubuntu that was released yesterday, no less) on a Dell laptop:
>
>   http://www.dell.com/content/topics/global.aspx/corp/biographies/en/msd_computers?c=us&l=en&s=corp
>
> That surely makes it awkward for Dell to claim there's no market for it?
>
> Smylers

Actually a quick update on this refund saga - HP opened a support ticket
for my refund request and then closed it immediately. No contact. No
email to say why. Nothing.

As for the laptop it's not that good either. Runs really hot and has
moments when it freezes because of the heat. As bargains go it wasn't
worth it.

As an aside I noticed no one I spoke to in the technical support center
knew what Linux or Unix was.  I'm sure HP positioned themselves as the
number one *nix supplier a while ago. Perhaps they didn't tell anyone in
support.

As for Dell - I'm sticking with them for now... until I can afford a
Clevo.

Shaun Laughey.