[Wylug-discuss] Christmas / 10th Birthday Meal - 10/12/2007

James Holden wylug at jamesholden.net
Mon Dec 3 14:06:38 GMT 2007

Hi All,

Yes, I know it's somewhat later than usual, but let's kick off the
discussion about what to do for the Christmas / birthday meal this year.

It's WYLUG's 10th birthday, so it'd be a real shame if we didn't mark it
in the traditional manner.

So, getting down to business, here's a few restaurant suggestions:

Spice Quarter, Electric Press Building, Leeds
http://www.spicequarter.co.uk/leeds/leeds.html (craptastic flash site, sorry)

Pros:
+ Right side of town, Millenium Square
+ Range of food: Chinese, Italian, Indian and Thai, all buffet style
+ Big tables
+ Excellent food (ate there last week, was very good)
+ Vegetarians no problem

Cons:
- The weekday evening price goes gets jacked up to 17.95 from 12.95
  during December(!)

Cafe Guru, Brewery Wharf, Leeds
http://www.cafeguru.co.uk/

Pros:
+ Nice, clean place, no flock seats
+ Good food, not the usual fare for a curry place, not all spicy
+ Reasonable normal menu prices

Cons:
- A bit of a walk from Uni
- Not sure if their normal menu will apply, too expensive if not

Red Chilli, Great George Street, Leeds
http://www.chiyip.co.uk/rcweb/leedshome.htm

Pros:
+ Very good Chinese food (my Asian friends eat there)
+ Reasonably priced
+ Close to Uni and Millenium Square
+ Fine for veggies
+ Fast service

Cons:
- Only does Chinese food (but some quite unusual/authentic stuff)
- 10% surcharge for Xmas bookings

...or there's Brios, but I wasn't so impressed last year (and they got
shirty when I wanted to see the amount I was supposed to be sticking my
PIN in for).

Being a Monday early in December, I don't think we'll have any problems
getting in anywhere, but let's get the discussion rolling.

Regards,

James