[Wylug-discuss] ...and eeePC

Martin Rowe dbg400.net at gmail.com
Wed Dec 19 14:02:19 GMT 2007

On 19/12/2007, Jim Jackson <jj at franjam.org.uk> wrote:
> On Tue, 18 Dec 2007, Martin Rowe wrote:
[snip]
> > I just bought one (in Galaxy Black) this evening from PC World in York
> > for £199.99. I did have one on order with Scan, but they emailed to
> > say they won't be getting them for a while (3rd Jan at present). PC
> > World had three or four more in stock at the time.
>
> I think the model available in Toys-R-Us is the 4Gb ramdisk version (when
> in stock, and the ones available in PC world in south Leeds at 199ukp are
> the 2Gb versions.

PC World in York had the 4G model in black, and the 2G model in white
(plain white, not the pearlescent finish like those at the meeting
last week). Bizarrely both were sold at the same price. The 2G model
lacks the webcam, as well as having less disk space available.

I cancelled my order with Scan, only to see that they report it as
in-stock today, though it was £20 more, and I have mine in time for
Christmas :)

> By the way what this mean
>
> Operating System           Linux
>                            Windows XP compatible
>
> It appears on their website when you look at the spec and on some of their
> paper advertising.

Although it comes with a customised version of Xandros the manual
gives fairly detailed instructions on how to upgrade it to XP, should
you wish to do so. The included DVD (for which you need an external
USB drive) has XP drivers for all the hardware.

So far I like it, and the tabbed interface is quite easy to use
(though a terminal is only a Ctrl+Alt+T away). Video & audio seem to
work well, and I've hooked it up to a 50" plasma screen at work
(1366x768) - though at that resolution minor issues with video
playback were apparent.

Regards, Martin
--
martin at dbg400.net  AIM/Gaim: DBG400dotNet  http://www.dbg400.net   /"\
DBG/400 - AS/400 & iSeries Open Source/Free Software utilities     \ /