[Wylug-discuss] Firefox Multimedia Player Plugins: Recommendations?

Dave Fisher wylug-discuss at davefisher.co.uk
Thu Dec 13 16:40:40 GMT 2007

Hi,

I am drawing up a software spec for web dev training on Linux and I need
to recommend an embedded video player for the browsers.

It's for debian-based systems and needs absolute minimal install hassle
(so no rpm or tarball suggestions please).

mozilla-mplayer is currently favourite, cos it usually works for me, but
I'd prefer something with visible user controls if possible.

Anyone had any success with totem-mozilla, kaffeine-mozilla,
mozilla-helix-player, mozilla-plugin-vlc or others?

Comparative experiences would be useful.

... As would any advice about getting web video to play through IE under
Linux, e.g. via IEs4Linux.

Dave