[Wylug-discuss] BBC On-Demand Consultation

Dave Fisher wylug-discuss at davefisher.co.uk
Thu Feb 1 05:09:57 GMT 2007

On Wed, Jan 31, 2007 at 03:48:57PM +0000, James Holden wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> Sorry - more activism and politico hassling for you.
>
> The BBC is seeking input on how it should deliver on-demand content.
>
> One of the questions is:
>
> "How important is it that the proposed seven-day catch-up service over
> the internet is available to consumers who are not using Microsoft
> software?"
>
> I would be horrified if British citizens were required to pay money to
> an American corporation in order to watch home-grown content.
>
> Please consider taking a few minutes to fill in the survey.
>
> http://qurl.co.uk/4qer

Thanks for bringing that to my attention James.

I must say I really had to struggle with my incandescent reaction the
the mere fact that someone at the BBC was even considering the notion of
Microsoft-only access.

Needless to say, the seriousness of the issue finally persuaded me to
calm down and attempt a reasoned argument for universal service ... as
the price the BBC must pay for recieving the licence fee.

Just reading the proposals makes it painfully clear to me that the
consultation process is already biased towards protecting private
sector media interests.  It can only get worse if individual citizens
keep their heads down in the hope that it will all blow over.

Dave