[Wylug-discuss] BBC On-Demand Consultation

James Holden wylug at jamesholden.net
Thu Feb 1 08:01:10 GMT 2007

On Thu, Feb 01, 2007 at 05:09:24AM +0000, Dave Fisher wrote:
[snip]
> Thanks for bringing that to my attention James.
>
> I must say I really had to struggle with my incandescent reaction the
> the mere fact that someone at the BBC was even considering the notion of
> Microsoft-only access.

Indeed - the way the issue was given an entirely separate question, and
the phrasing of it, makes me think they were checking if we're paying
attention.

> Needless to say, the seriousness of the issue finally persuaded me to
> calm down and attempt a reasoned argument for universal service ... as
> the price the BBC must pay for recieving the licence fee.

Yes - it deserves a serious and considered answer, because otherwise
they'll be able to say "See, they're all ranting loonies"

> Just reading the proposals makes it painfully clear to me that the
> consultation process is already biased towards protecting private
> sector media interests.  It can only get worse if individual citizens
> keep their heads down in the hope that it will all blow over.

Sadly true, but aren't they always?

James