[Wylug-discuss] BBC On-Demand Consultation

Dave Fisher wylug-discuss at davefisher.co.uk
Thu Feb 1 11:56:08 GMT 2007

On Thu, Feb 01, 2007 at 08:41:35AM +0000, Will Newton wrote:
> The main proposal document states that Windows Media Player 10 is the only
> solution that provides the necessary DRM to allow the other features
> discussed (e.g. expiry of shows after 13 days etc.) to be implemented. I
> don't know of any open media format that can provide the DRM they want. If
> the plan goes forward it will use Windows Media Player 10.
>
> Obviously DRM of this type does not (and cannot) work, but that's a separate
> argument.

Agreed, the key issue is whether or not a compulsorily funded universal
service should be forcing its clients (the public) to use DRM in the
first place. DRM should not, itself, be taken as 'a given'.

It is only because the Trust has already accepted the argument for DRM,
that the question of using Microsoft's version arises.

And it looks as if they have accepted the argument for DRM, because they
believe that the BBC owes its primary duty to its commercial competitors
and to its (publicly subsidised) private suppliers, rather than to the
licence payer!

Still, if widespread objection to the exclusionary character of
Microsoft-only DRM causes the Government and the BBC to reconsider
their craven subservience to corporate media interests I, for one, would
be much happier.

The BBC should remember that their content suppliers work for them, and
not vice versa.

Dave