[Wylug-discuss] Asterisk Talk Slides

James Holden wylug at jamesholden.net
Wed Jan 10 14:09:00 GMT 2007

On Tue, Jan 09, 2007 at 06:02:55PM +0000, Dave Fisher wrote:
> On Tue, Jan 09, 2007 at 10:32:15AM +0000, James Holden wrote:
> > All,
> >
> > The slides from the talk last night are here:
> >
> > http://jamesholden.net/docs/asterisk_080107.odp
> >

> > Anyone wishing to play with inbound/outbound calls to and from the real
> > world can sign up for an account here:
> >
> > http://www.aql.com/telecoms/site/order1.php
> >
> > 0870 numbers are free, geographic numbers are reasonably priced and
> > available in most area codes with no inflated costs for 'catchy'
> > numbers.
> >
> > There is a brief guide to getting Asterisk talking to aql here:
> >
> > http://www.aql.com/telecoms/site/faqs.php?faq_id=126
>
> Hi James,
>
> Thanks for putting up the slides.
>
> I was inspired enough by the talk to dig out an IP phone that I bought
> a while ago, but never got around to configuring.
>
> Having wrestled the phone's byzantine software (almost) to the ground,
> I'm seriously thinking of giving asterisk a go.
>
> I noticed that you were using ubuntu to do your demos, so I guess that
> you have already figured out which of the myriad ubunutu asterisk
> packages are necessary for the relatively basic features that you demo'd
> yesterday.
>
> Any recommendations?

No, I built from source. It's very easy, just a configure and make install
routine. I think I needed libncurses4-devel installing via apt though.

Asterisk has an init script in the contrib directory.

You can get away with just the main asterisk package, but if you want to
play with stuff that's not pure-VoIP (like TDM cards) you'll need libpri
also. The 'addons' package isn't necessary either, unless you want to
(for example) log calls to a MySQL database.

Cheers,

James