[Wylug-discuss] PDA's in schools

John Hodrien johnh at comp.leeds.ac.uk
Fri Jan 12 16:59:42 GMT 2007

On Fri, 12 Jan 2007, ALLEN, David wrote:

>> Most of the things they appear to have done with them are generic tasks,
>> apart from some things produced for them through microsoft and three other
>> partners.  At least one of them (espresso) appear to be OSS users, and some
>> of the tools used (like flash) would work just merrily on a Nokia linux
>> based device.
>
> That is the point I was trying to make; everything COULD have been done with
> a linux based device! However, I believe, big M provided the kit, software,
> meetings in the states etc etc to continue the lockin and to sell more kit
> in the future. When the kids grow up, they will only have experience of one
> computer supplier and so will continue the trend.

But just because it *could* have been done with a linux based device doesn't
mean it should.  It's not like there's a plethora of generic linux PDAs that
all provide the same Free software stack.  If the stuff they're implementing
is generic (in as much as Flash is generic...), and the stuff they're not is
provided by microsoft, where's the lock in?  It's not like you can't sync a
Pocket PC device to a Linux box.

It's only if they find themselves writing lots of stuff that's specific to
Pocket PC.  I think it's hard from the outside to know the good or bad of this
pilot.

> I wonder if the $100 Wind up laptop would be suitable for the task?

Too big IMO.  Convincing them to carry it around with them could prove
difficult.  Also they'd have to implement all the syncing stuff themselves?

jh

--
"An occupation is wrong, building a wall around these people is wrong,
  shooting children for throwing stones is wrong, stealing peoples land is