[Wylug-discuss] PDA's in schools

Glenn Glidden glenn at gliddenservices.com
Mon Jan 15 18:16:51 GMT 2007

As an IT Manager in a Leeds FE College can I add my agreement to what Rob
has said here, frighteningly similar at our place!

It's difficult enough to get people to look at software from a task based
point of view (are we teaching Word or wordprocessing?) as opposed to a
supplier point of view, as most people don't understand the difference.
People want easy products and don't on the whole understand the
technical/ethical/licencing points of view.  Microsoft will win out and will
do for a while yet, based on their marketing budget alone.  Which is a
shame, because I'd love to not have to say to people that, "yes you have
Windows but now you need an Office package, and no, it's not on by default
because if you want Microsoft Office you have to pay for it" and rather say,
"here's your free Liux CD, it should have everything you need, if not,
someone will have produced a FOSS version of it".

I've been looking at more Linux use in my College, using Moddle for the VLE,
and things like Snort and Ethereal for security and network tools, but
that's not really Linux as the base OS.  Again I've not seen anything/anyone
pushing Linux for education, and have struggled a little bit finding good
resources to justify a case for making the switch.  As an example, I want to
go fully Linux on my home PC, but I'm still using XP because there's still a
number of "ah, but what about this software" questions to answer.  Until
even I can answer those questions (20 years in IT), how can I convince
anyone else?

Until the advocacy side picks up (I note the WYLUG advicacy mailing list is
a bit quiet), and information is really basic so that senior management
teams can understand it, you're not going to get much movement on that side.
Trying from the technical veiwpoint or the 'it's not Micro$oft' or 'it's not
MicroS**t' (rhymes with 'hit') doesn't work in an education context, in my
view.

I really would like to hear from other educational users (school/College)
about their experiences and how they have managed to take Linux forward,
even if it's mainly based on FOSS applications as opposed to Linux per-se.
I'm particularly interested in education managers as the interest in
Lunix/FOSS is normally based on education being poorly resourced in general.

Thanks.

Glenn Glidden.