[Wylug-discuss] 'Pathetic' FLOSS Advocacy - Put it to the test?

John Hodrien johnh at comp.leeds.ac.uk
Thu Jan 25 11:15:09 GMT 2007

On Wed, 24 Jan 2007, Dave Fisher wrote:

> My basic points are these:
>
>  1. If people aren't willing to do anything about bad stuff, they
>  should stop whingeing about it when it happens (like non-voters should
>  stop whingeing about politics and politicians).

I think the problem is what you consider 'doing stuff' to mean.  Discussing
these issues such that they are more understood *is* acheiving something in
its own right, especially when that spews over into other forums (such as
Leeds School of Computing news).

>  2. If they are willing to do something about, they should do it well.

That's a bit of a vague and general statement, that applied almost to
anything.  The individual has the right to do it badly if they so choose.

>  3. There is little chance of a non-profit group doing it well, if it
>  doesn't measure and marshall its own human resources.

But that's only valid if the non-profit group is trying to do it well.

jh

--
"Youth would be an ideal state of affairs if it came a little later in life."
                                                      -- Herbert Asquith