[Wylug-discuss] 'Pathetic' FLOSS Advocacy - Put it to the test?

Mike Goodman mike.goodman at zen.co.uk
Thu Jan 25 23:27:07 GMT 2007

On Thu, 2007-01-25 at 17:24 +0000, Dave Fisher wrote:
> On Thu, Jan 25, 2007 at 05:07:43PM +0000, Mike Goodman wrote:
> > Cutting it to the quick, am I to understand this relates to the Open
> > Document Format?
>
> Only indirectly.

etc etc to:

> If OOXML is modified so that it becomes truly Open, it becomes possible
> for organisations to change their Office software supplier without a
> negative effect on their data ... you can see how much Microsoft would
> like that idea (not).

Telling me I understood it perfectly, then. It was M$'s failure to
either comply with the genuine open standard or to open their own so
others could use it which led to the multi-£million fines by the EU
courts, and which I am anxious that Bill and Gordon's dear friendship
doesn't allow them to circumvent via the UK quasi-government
organisation route.

Sod leaving the M$ name out of it. This deliberate manipulation needs
screeching from the rooftops. If the British Establishment believes that
it can take the easy route and still have a quiet life, it should be
swiftly disabused of any such notion. The higher EU authority should be
made aware of these attempts to nullify several years of grinding, hard
work on their part, as should any political and media ally we can
pressgang into service.

Playing their own game, by quietly pointing shenanigans out to higher
authorities in counterplay to their attempts at quietly sneaking in
through the back door, coupled with the somewhat serendipitous discovery
of same by those in whose interests it is to make a loud noise, should
cause enough embarrassment to elicit a swift volt-face.

Has anyone got the time and, preferably, experience and energy to
project lead this little effort?

Best,

Mike