[Wylug-discuss] Name Server Recommendations?

Andy Davidson andy at nosignal.org
Wed Jul 4 11:59:47 BST 2007

On 3 Jul 2007, at 12:26, Dave Fisher wrote:

> Do people still consider Bind to be the best option for a fully-
> featured nameserver?
> Are there any worthwhile options for something lighter and simpler
> to manage?

Depends how you define fully featured.

I have replaced bind on almost all of my authority-only nameservers
now, with nsd.

nsd is much easier to configure and builds a table of all possible
larger memory footprint than bind probably will on your deployment,
but it is incredibly fast.  However, you must understand that it is
authority only - if you need to do recursion through your
nameservers, then stick with Bind.

Of course you have separated authority and recursion roles in your
infrastructure to prevent mistakes leading to open dns servers,
haven't you ... ;-)

cheers
Andy