[Wylug-discuss] System Crash

Mark P. Conmy mpc at comp.leeds.ac.uk
Fri Jul 6 21:10:33 BST 2007

On Fri, 6 Jul 2007, Mark Spink wrote:

> Thanks for the replies.
>
> The server is hosted at a data centre in Manchester, and required a
> manual reboot to get it going again. After the hard restart everything
> seems to be o.k. The ping as you say is not a brilliant diagnostic
> tools, but as you say at least it showed that the kernel was still
> going. Problem is, apart from the obvious time break in the web logs etc
> I have found no evidence as to why it happened.

Mark,

I've seen this sort of thing before, and (when it's locked solid like
this) it's normally eventually traced to a device.  In some cases, it's
a hardware fault, others it's a driver problem (an unhandled condition,
for example).  There are so many possibilities, though, it's hard to
know for sure.

As you say it's run without problem for more than three years then
unless you've done an upgrade recently, I'd suspect hardware degradation
and keep an eye on it.

Mark