[Wylug-discuss] CRT's

Peter Nix p.j.nix at leeds.ac.uk
Thu Jun 21 12:15:48 BST 2007

Of the ~60 vdus in use in my dept at the university fifteen were
bought before 2000, the longest serving are 2 (of an original 6)
Apples with 17" Trinitron tube bought in 1996. Many vdus are on top
of their second cpu, and a  proportion their third or fourth.

Every so often the accountants tell me I should replace all IT
equipment every four years, I ask them if they recommend this
practice for office furniture and if not, why not.

In large heterogeneous organisations like universities the chief
carbon benefit of longevity - in software as well as hardware - is
indirect, it lies in the reduction of administrative human activity -
obtaining quotations, arguing the case for expenditure in a room
containing five people, placing orders, signing delivery notes and
passing them to the goods receipters, entering information in SAP,
tagging equipment, installing it, removing the old, altering the
inventory, disposing of the old, taking paper asserting that the
manner of disposal of the old is correct to dept head who will sign
then have someone file it in a space with a carbon footprint.

At least at as fast as the price ( but also I suspect the average
working life) of new equipment, falls the quantity of human support
activity and its implicit carbon footprint, rises.