[Wylug-discuss] Favourite FOSS apps and tools?

Smylers Smylers at stripey.com
Fri Jun 22 14:13:20 BST 2007

Dave Whiteley writes:

> I have tried hard to persuade undergraduates that (x)emacs is a better
> editor for programming than $soft notepad, and in rare cases have
> succeeded.
>
> I do not think that this would have been possible with vi.

Vi and Emacs are both good.  I'm very much a Vim user, but I wouldn't
recommend it to anybody who already knows Emacs well and is happy with
it.

However ... to anybody using a primitive Notepad-esque editor I would
very strongly recommend that they he the time in to learning one of Vim
or Emacs.  It doesn't really matter which: using either will vastly
increase his productivity.

If somebody chooses to learn (or teach) Emacs, VI users should see that
as a vote of confidence in having a powerful editor, not as a slight
against VI.

Smylers