[Wylug-discuss] Suggestion for website

Chris Brown snecklifter at gmail.com
Tue May 15 22:29:48 BST 2007

On 15/05/07, John Hodrien <johnh at comp.leeds.ac.uk> wrote:

> On Tue, 15 May 2007, Dave Fisher wrote:
>
> > I agree that LUGs have many aims, including social ones, which the
> > planet idea might help.
> >
> > That said, many of our social aims are similar to those of golf clubs
> > and reading groups, so I think that we need to make sure the site's
> > overall focus remains on what makes us different from them.
>
> That said, I think it's always worth remembering that WLYUG isn't a
> lobbying
> or advocacy group:
>
>     "WYLUG is a group of people who use or are interested in GNU Linux and
> Open
>      Source software. We aim to offer informal help and guidance to GNU
> Linux
>      and Open Source software users through events, meetings, our email
> lists
>      and of course this website.
>
> I'm not saying that I'm for or against this, but I wouldn't like the
> balance
> to shift away from the informal.

I do think that as I imagine we are all to some extend involved in FLOSS
(and looking at all of the blogs currently aggregated that is self-evident)
the general bias of the planet will be towards I.T. The same passion we
share for this technology filters into what we blog about. As John L. said
previously, it would form but a small part of the WYLUG website and planets
are pretty much self-explanatory in nature - people talking about what they
feel passionately about.

Whilst I'm averse to using the term, I wouldn't want to think that lovers of
freedom such as ourselves start out a new project by censoring it. Does not
the fact that it is a subscription service anyway indicate that some control
is possible should things get out of hand?

Plus you know you are all a bit in awe of the mighty kumquat after today
anyway...

Cheers
Chris

--