[Wylug-discuss] GNU/Linux users - sign petition to say you use BBC web site!

Mike Goodman mike.goodman at zen.co.uk
Fri Nov 2 22:35:52 GMT 2007

Roger wrote:
> John Hodrien wrote:
>> On Fri, 2 Nov 2007, Roger wrote:
>>> On the basis of his other figures (for what they are worth), given 17
>>> million total with 850,000 using Macs, 600 isn't our real target...
>> I'd look at it another slightly more positive way.  It's enough to
>> show that he's wrong.
>
> Enough for what?
>
> Roger

What what what???

I'm finding this "debate" pointless and unprincipled. The licence fee is
a tax on television owners, nominally to give the BBC an income. It is
the general taxpayer, rather than the television owner, who has to pay
for the pursuit of those too poor to purchase a licence for their third+
hand failing TVs so their kids can see programmes the propaganda tells
us are freely available to all, at horrendous cost.

To give the BBC the power to judge which of those licence tax payers may
or may not view their output is a blatant political abrogation of duty.
Parliament is the only body which should be deciding how taxpayers'
money is spent.

To argue a justification on this proportion or that  number misses the
point. One is too many. The reason for hitting whatever the figure is
plus, should only be to ram it down the bigoted luvvy pillock and his
acolytes' throats.

I've added my "voice" to the petition. But please, let's leave this
purely academic navel gazing from hitting my inbox every few minutes?

Thanks for bearing with my rant. It's off my chest now. ;)

Mike