[Wylug-discuss] GNU/Linux users - sign petition to say you use BBC web site!

Roger roger.bea at blueyonder.co.uk
Fri Nov 2 23:33:03 GMT 2007

Mike Goodman wrote:
> I'm finding this "debate" pointless and unprincipled.

Sorry if I sound to be picking nits, Mike, that really isn't my intention.

One principle seems quite plain to my mind: as a public service, funded
by the public, the BBC ought to make their work freely available (both
as in speech and as in beer, once the license fees have been paid).

As I see it, the difficulties start raising their heads once one moves
from principle to practice.  Performers, writers and technicians are all
worthy of their hire - and contracts have and continue to be written and
signed laying down the terms that embody that.

In the old days of analogue broadcasting things were comparatively
simple: if you weren't listening (or had a recorder running) when a
programme was broadcast, you'd missed it.  If it was re-broadcast,
writers and performers could be paid repeat fees according to how many
times it was repeated.

On demand broadcasting screws that model from top to bottom.

The BBC has also been dumped on with a new lead role in the analogue to
digital conversion, while at the same time their revenues have been capped.

To a degree, the BBC is the orange pip between two fingers squeezing
more and more tightly together and if they aren't to disappear into the
invisible distance, they have to take cost into consideration.

But back to the thread topic: I think that this petition - which is
about numbers - has the potential to give the 'good guys' at the BBC
some bullets to fire about linux and oss, but only if the numbers really
are significant.  Destroying the guy's credibility about "400 to 600"
isn't enough.  If we can 'prove' that there are 8,500 linux users of the
BBC stuff, that's still only 0.05% (one hundredth of the Mac brigade) of
the total.  Financially speaking, that entirely justifies the BBC
ignoring us.

What I'm trying to advocate is much more: MUCH bigger numbers for us
(keep up the pressure to sign); chipping away at that 17.1 million
figure (what does it really mean); arguing for a more more fundamental
reconsideration of the role and duties of the BBC; and so on.

And supporting what the BBC does get right, if not perfect.

Roger