[Wylug-discuss] GNU/Linux users - sign petition to say you use BBC web site!

Lee Evans lee at leeevans.org
Sat Nov 3 22:39:43 GMT 2007

>My signature is number 242, so about half of the audience has signed up
>already :)

Whilst I agree and suspect the number quoted by Ashley Highfield is wrong,
I'm also, unfortunately, incredibly skeptical about the validity of this
petition.

Given that it has been or is being highlighted and/or discussed on a number
of LUG mailing lists, a few forums and a few relatively well-viewed blogs
(and who knows where else) - thrown in with the fact that the actual issue
(of whether or not the quoted figure is accurate) is being overshadowed by
the long-standing (and in my view unreasonable) "outrage" at the inability
to watch the BBC's on demand content on a Linux system - I strongly suspect
that the number of people putting their names to this petition is
completely detached from the number of people who are indeed regularly
accessing the BBC's website using Linux.

It seems the old discussion is creeping back in a little on this thread, so
I've cheekily attached Smlyers' particularly well written post from a few
months back the points in which I pretty much agree with wholeheartedly.
I'm all for campaigning for the content to be more readily accessible but I
think it's unfair to suggest (which many seem to do) that the on demand
system should either be available to *all* or available to none.

Lee