[Wylug-discuss] List Etiquette: Top Posting vs. Bottom Posting

Mark P. Conmy mpc at comp.leeds.ac.uk
Sun Oct 28 14:30:43 GMT 2007

On Sun, 28 Oct 2007, David Holden wrote:
> On Sunday 28 October 2007, Anne Wilson wrote:
>>
>> When in Rome....
>>
>> Plain good manners.
>
> But Anne, If I was in Rome I would be pretty aware of the fact - I took a long
> plane journey for a start, in this case its more akin to being in a large
> building consisting a hundreds of similar looking rooms - lots of them with
> names ending in -LUG, in some of these rooms you can talk about what you like
> as long as you use the correct accent.. the accent varies between rooms..

True enough.  But to twist your analogy further, you are arguing for
walking into a room where the majority are speaking Italian and
insisting that having a standard is bad so any language should do.

Some polyglots will agree with you whilst others will see the overhead
of having to deal with multiple languages an annoyance.

Mark

P.S. Most international conferences (academic or industrial) still
      choose a standard language.