[Wylug-discuss] List Etiquette: Top Posting vs. Bottom Posting

David Holden dh at iucr.org
Sun Oct 28 16:15:28 GMT 2007

On Sunday 28 October 2007, Roger Greenwood wrote:
> So far no one seems to have spelled out the advantages of top posting,
> which I see as :-
>
> 1. Most of the world seems to do it that way already (like it or not) out
> of lazyness/default mail program (as was pointed out already). The
> exceptions seem to be techie groups like this.
>
> 2. You can read the reply immediately without scrolling - my finger hovers
> over the delete key when reading mail. If you have to read the whole
> message again to remember the context then go ahead - scroll.
>
> 3. More usable on mobile devices - I don't want to download the whole 10k
> message to read a 10 word sentance (and yes HTML/XML bloat messages make
> this much worse, but we can save that argument for another day).
>
> If the reply is more than a sentance, or to multiple points then I agree
> with many others - snip away.
>
> Roger Greenwood
>
> p.s. I will of course agree with the majority, provided it does not clash
> with my list of those who must be obeyed :-
>
> 1. wife
> 2. kids
> 3. bank manager
> 4. god
> 5. boss
> 6. list members

Roger again I agree with your above summary,  however as an unmarried atheist
without kids who switches bank on a whim and gets on with his boss only point
6 would apply to me and even then I would almost certainly get kicked off the
list since I'm really on too many list to care to do anything other than what
my default email client does.

 C'est La vie.

  Dave.

--
Dr. David Holden.

See: <http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/no-word-attachments.html>
regarding Word or PowerPoint. GPG key available on request.