[Wylug-discuss] List Etiquette: Top Posting vs. Bottom Posting

Jim Jackson jj at franjam.org.uk
Sun Oct 28 17:35:03 GMT 2007

Dave Fisher wrote:

> For what it's worth, my personal opinion is that bottom posting still
> offers significant advantages for threaded discussion, especially where
> long threads are involved and where there are any number of interleaved

One of the problems is that a lot of people seem very loath to edit the
contents of what they are replying to, either because they are novice or
non-terribly confident uses of the editing tools available, or because
they may not feel confident or happy reducing someones else output to a
few lines. Bottom posting, where there has been no or minimal editing
of the thread can be very tedious, and the advantages of
answer-below-comments/questions can be lost among the sheer unedited
volume. In such circumstances, top posting often wins out.

Text editing, at speed is a refined and not very common art.