[Wylug-discuss] Bluetooth Keyboards and Mice

Paul Brook paul at codesourcery.com
Wed Oct 31 15:55:36 GMT 2007

> Could anyone with experience of using Bluetooth input devices with Linux
> tell me if it's practical? ... and what sort of kit I need, i.e. is it
> just a question of buying one of those cheap USB Bluetooth dongles?

Yes, a cheap bluetooth dongle should do the trick.  There's a few different
chipsets, but I think most of them work.  One of the really annoying things
is that for political reasons last time I checked there isn't an official
list of compatible devices[1].

I've successfully used bluetooth kbd+mice on a variety of linux machines.
Most Bluetooth input devices use a standard HID profile, so like with USB
they "Just Work".

The trick with bluetooth is that you have get the two devices to "pair" with
each other. While the Linux bluetooth stack seems to be fairly solid and all
the functionality is there, configuring it seems to be a bit sketchy.

Paul

[1] The background is that to claim to be "Bluetooth Compatible" your
implementation needs to be certified by bluetooth association.  This is an
attempt to ensure that all bluetooth devices actually work. However for
fairly obvious reasons this doesn't work well with open source implementation
where users are able/encouraged to modify it.