[Wylug-discuss] what is the difference?

Anne Wilson cannewilson at googlemail.com
Tue Sep 4 22:08:11 BST 2007

On Tuesday 04 Sep 2007, Scott Hodgson wrote:
> I am a little perplexed as to the difference between the 3 main desktop
> interface's
>
> What is the difference between KDE GNOME and XFCE, I thought it was the
> display - as in xfce was like a mac, kde all at bottom of screen and
> gnome at the top - but having looked at ubuntu, kubuntu and xubuntu they
> all have the same layout.  could someone put me straight.  all the
> websites I have seen is that it is the look and feel of it, but also
> they say xfce is more performance based but they all look alike on the
> 'buntu group.

XFCE is lighter-weight than either of the other two, particularly relevant if
you need to get every possible resource out of an otherwise-stretched system.
As for KDE and GNOME, despite all prejudices, it is mostly down to personal
preference.  I'm a KDE fan, loving the way just about everything is
configurable, while others swear by GNOME and wouldn't touch anything related
to KDE with a bargepole.

Anne