[Wylug-discuss] Re: what is the difference?

Nigel Metheringham nigel.metheringham at dev.intechnology.co.uk
Thu Sep 6 09:21:19 BST 2007

On 5 Sep 2007, at 22:18, Scott Hodgson wrote:

> Thanks everyone for the input, it is slightly more complex than i
> imagined, as i thought X was the window thing and kde etc were just
> how you viewed it. oh how mistaken i was!!! one of the reasons i
> asked is the laptop i have is a 256mb p4 1.?ghz and the install
> process was an pain with swapping between alternate install and live
> cd install (Ubuntu) as it was slow or didn't work.  I also use Macs
> at work and the xfce look (from website screenshots) is quite nice
> so just wondered why it looked the same in every distro of 'buntu.
> I obviously got the wrong end of the stick, but is it quite easy to
> change how i view a desktop? i.e can i change xubuntu to have the
> typical xfce look.

For a low memory machine like that XFCE would suit better than gnome or
KDE, and you may also wish to choose other tools that are more
parsimonious with memory - ie rxvt/xterm or the xfce equivalent rather
than gnome-terminal (which is a memory hog), maybe a different web
browser to firefox. Ideally stick to the XFCE tools and avoid KDE/gnome
as either of those would pull in a great pile of additional support
code, however if you use (say) a kde program, then you already have that
support code loaded, so using an additional kde program would not have
that hit again.

	Nigel.