[Wylug-discuss] Leeds Openstreetmap Mapping Party Sept 15-16

tim chippy2005 at gmail.com
Tue Sep 11 17:03:40 BST 2007

Hi Folks,

This weekend OpenStreetMap is having a Mapping Party for Leeds!

The OpenStreetMap project www.openstreetmap.org is the biggest open
data project in the world and one of the most important open source
projects in the UK. Aimed squarely at creating and providing free
geographic data such as street maps to anyone who wants them,
OpenStreetMap was started because most maps you think of as free
actually have legal or technical restrictions on their use, holding
back people from using them in creative, productive or unexpected
ways. So geeks, volunteers, activists and mappers go out and do their
own grass roots remapping!

By bike, foot or car, come along for Saturday and Sunday, or just for
a couple of hours. We have some GPS units to borrow, but if you have
your own thats better, also bring something to record stuff, like pen
and paper, dictaphone, camera, partner. We meet up in the morning and
lunch, go out mapping in-between, then meet up in the pub for beers!
Or just come along to find out what it's all about.

Saturday, 10am Upstairs in Starbucks, Albion Street, for intros, and
divide the city  then out to map
1pm The Lounge (where geekup is held), to recap, upload gps tracks,
map and eat, then in the afternoon do some more mapping
5pm Victoria Hotel for beer and around 7pm a curry somewhere

Sunday 10:30 NTI has kindly lent us the use of great space of Old
Broadcasting House (Woodhouse Rd, opposite the Fenton) for this day.

I'll present the mapping results from the first day there, then off to map.

1pm meet back there for lunch, then more mapping
4-5 meet back and depart

You can get more info on the wiki page[1], and also on the upcoming
event page too[2] if you want to sign up.

Also, I shall be doing a little presentation at Leeds Geekup [3] the
following week showing the results of the weekend.

See you there!

Tim Waters

[1] http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/index.php/Leeds_Mapping_Party
[2] http://upcoming.yahoo.com/event/236736/  leeds mapping party