[Wylug-discuss] Future Talks and Social Meets

Tom Hall thattommyhall at gmail.com
Wed Sep 12 18:54:04 BST 2007

I missed the beginning of Mondays talk, but it seemed Dave made an
effort to rally people into action. I think it may help if people
suggested topics they would like to see a presentation on as there is
obviously no shortage of knowledge among you.
I would like to see something on: Samba, LDAP, Rails, Haskell,
Functional Programming, Hacking the Linux kernel, Thin clients, High
performance computing, Why I love <SomeProgrammingLanguage>,
Concurrency, Authentication, Cryptography, security, Apache, Cool
things to do with FUSE, KVM, getting by with the CLI, My EMACS setup,
Why should you use {free,open,net}BSD?, I use linux in
<SomeInterestingPlace>, Apache, I hack on <SomeProject> and its ace!,
Web 2.0 - its not just a useful set of technologies, its also a
buzzword, Why Javascript does not suck, Linux Media Centres, Hacking
the Xbox, Linux on the PS3, filesystems in linux, I replaced
<Something> with <SomethingFree> and it also performed better. That
all I can think of, come on guys - you know what gets you excited, do
a talk on it. For those of you who are newer to Linux, there must be
loads of things you would like to see talks on so please suggest
something.

I would like to do a couple more talks over the next few months.
"Why I love Python" History, implementations, syntax overview, useful
modules, new features, recent "magic", future plans.
"Anatomy of a python program - How much can you do in 0.1 KLOC"
Building on the first talk, taking apart 100 lines of python that
achieve a surprising amount (I think its better to be vague before the
talk)

Social Meets and the WYLUG site.
I am for social meets, but do not see the merit in themeing them
(unless we particularly do something with it) in case we make people
less likely to come.
I would like a forum on the site rather than the mailing list,
threaded conversations and the ability to ignore areas you are not
interested in may encourage higher, more purposeful,  participation. I
would like to see a "flash meet" area where you could quickly rustle
up a few people and get something done, "who fancies a curry Thursday
night" etc. I would also love to see a "Who We Are" page with photos
(though John is right I could always try and remember peoples names)
I have used http://www.pmwiki.org/ to collaboratively develop a
website when I was in uni (I know we only recently moved to WordPress
so this may be too much pain)

I too had a great time on Monday, and will deffo turn up to the first
semi-official social meet in a couple of weeks.

All the very best, Tom