[Wylug-discuss] Open Source attacks.

Anne Wilson cannewilson at googlemail.com
Wed Apr 9 10:54:05 BST 2008

Just an example to back up my argument.

A woman came to me saying that she had had a message from btinternet, saying
that they would revoke her account if she didn't clean up her computer with x
days.  I took along relevant checkers and found 14 cases of malware on her
computer.  She said she couldn't afford to buy AV software etc..

Soon afterwards she called me again.  Whenever she opened a browser she was
directed to a p**n site.  I sorted that out.  It transpired that her son was
using her computer without her consent, when she was out of the house.  With
her agreement I put a BIOS password on the computer.

All that happened is that he nagged her for a day or two, then she gave him
the BIOS password.  At that point I washed my hands of her.

I can only conclude that she didn't have the intelligence to be a responsible
computer user.

Anne