[Wylug-discuss] Eeepc and virus protection

ALLEN, David David.ALLEN at eur.crowncork.com
Tue Apr 15 15:31:18 BST 2008

It is good to see this topic is raising some serious discussion rather
than "it's linux so it won't get viruses" head in the sand attitude!

One of the real neat features of the eeepc ( for me anyway) is how it
comes preinstalled with all the features most users need and requires
minimal config to get it working. If you have to resort to re-installing
the OS, you may as well put XP on it (perish the thought) and use SMS to
update it automatically. For a virus to run it obviously has to install
and be executeable, so a very aggessive lock down policy may be the
answer. What prompted me to start thinking about this was all the talk
about sudo, which, of course, whould bypass any such security!

David