[Wylug-discuss] Eeepc and virus protection

Jim Jackson jj at franjam.org.uk
Tue Apr 15 16:05:12 BST 2008

On Tue, 15 Apr 2008, ALLEN, David wrote:

> It is good to see this topic is raising some serious discussion rather
> than "it's linux so it won't get viruses" head in the sand attitude!
>
> One of the real neat features of the eeepc ( for me anyway) is how it
> comes preinstalled with all the features most users need and requires
> minimal config to get it working. If you have to resort to re-installing
> the OS, you may as well put XP on it (perish the thought) and use SMS to
> update it automatically. For a virus to run it obviously has to install
> and be executeable, so a very aggessive lock down policy may be the
> answer. What prompted me to start thinking about this was all the talk
> about sudo, which, of course, whould bypass any such security!

See the sudo thread, elsewhere on wylug-discuss. The way the OS is put
together by default, is highly dependant on sudo working and being
password-less!

One of the interesting features of the Eeepc setup is that it uses a
UnionFS to make the root file system out of a ReadOnly mount of the base
installed setup and a r/w filesystem for the changes. To restore to the
factory default one reformats the r/w partition, and there is an option
under the F9 boot menu to do that.

If you get a virus (cough!) then reseting to factory default gets rid of
it, and your mods and data :-( But for some uses that may not be an issue.

As far as I can see, to get at the readonly partition to install a
permanent virus, one needs to interrupt the boot process in the initrd
stage before the boot has create the unionfs and done a pivot root to it.
I'm not sure how a virus would install itself against the factory reset.