[Wylug-discuss] Eeepc and virus protection

Towle, William william.towle at echostar.com
Tue Apr 15 16:46:06 BST 2008

> Jim Jackson wrote:
> > One of the interesting features of the Eeepc setup is that
> it uses a
> > UnionFS to make the root file system out of a ReadOnly
> mount of the base
> > installed setup and a r/w filesystem for the changes.
>
> Now that's what I call a clever idea.

  ...but not a new one as far as I can tell. My recollection
of the "debiosk" [Debian Kiosk] implementation is that, in
similar manner, it gives a user a home directory with
persistent (read-only) dot-files but otherwise session-only
content. Furthermore (IIRC - our proxy isn't letting me
Google this right now) the read-only partition is laid over
the read-write one, meaning you can't even leave
"interesting" dotfile hacks and "forget" to log out.

Cheers,
  Wills.